Deploying Drupal 8 projects, it required executing a lot of tasks like:
- Pull code base from repository / branch
- Run composer install to download dependencies and contrib modules
- Backup database
- Put site offline
- Import config
- Update Database
- Puts site on line
- Clear cache
And so on !
So executing those tasks in each fix or code change, it's a hard!
In this article we will see how to automate those tasks using Capistrano 3.
First of all what is Capistrano?
According to capistranorb.com
Capistrano is a remote server automation tool.
It supports the scripting and execution of arbitrary tasks, and includes a set of sane-default deployment workflows.
Read more about its definition on What is Capistrano? section.
For Drupal 7 there is this repo capistrano/drupal-deploy it's well documented and works perfect.
For that purpose i have create this repo drupal8cap adapted to Drupal 8.
- Gems must be installed on your system first.
- Composer, Drush and Git should be installed on your server
- Your server should have access to your repository (ssh key should be in your code base hosting Github/Gitlab/Bitbucket ...)
I hope this help you gain a little bit of time and facilitate your deployment process.
If you have any question or you need some help, don't hesitate to let a comment bellow.